Prep 1 hr 10 min Cook 4 hrs Makes 8 – 12 Difficulty Easy
- 1 lb. Italian Pork Sausage (Regular or Spicy)
- 1 medium onion Onion, Sliced into Rings
- 1 head of Garlic, Top Removed, Excess Peel Removed, Wrapped in Foil and Drizzled with Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp. leaves or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 2 cups Diced Tomatoes (From 28 oz. Can), Undrained
- 1 can (15 oz.) Tomato Sauce
- 12 noodles Lasagna Noodles, No-Boil
- 1 container (15 oz.) Ricotta Cheese or Small-Curd Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano or 1-1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees F
Place the ground sausage on the smoker and smoke until cooked through.
Sauté and smoke the diced onions with olive oil in a pan. Put the foil pack of garlic on the smoker. Remove both the onions and the garlic when the onions are browned. Approximately 45 minutes.
In a 10-inch skillet, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, and sugar. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered about 45 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the cooked sausage and onions to the sauce. When the garlic is browned and tender, squeeze it from the peel and mince finely. Add directly to the sauce.
In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and the oregano. Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture in ungreased 13×9-inch foil pan. Top with 4 noodles.
Spread 1 cup of the cheese mixture over noodles; spread with 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
Repeat with 4 noodles, the remaining cheese mixture, 1 cup of the sauce mixture and 2/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Place uncovered into smoker for 30 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and cook until noodles are done and cheese is bubbly. Approximately 3 hours.
Uncover; bake about 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly.
Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.